My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States


Official Web Site

Office Myspace Page

Miles Jaye Merchandise



Subscribe to this feed


<$10.20.2007$>

Dangerous Faith

Does the muse that whispers enchanting lyrics and melodic movements in my inner ear or the spirit that speaks softly to my soul revealing visions of unimaginable beauty and joy or frightful images of dreadful human suffering speak from the heart of a single faith?

Does the universe have a voice, or is it simply the voice of God I hear? Is it one voice, or is it many?

Does my mother speak to me from heaven in tones so soft and low that I don't recognize her earthly voice but only her familiar, loving, maternal intentions?

Do I hear the rhythmic beckoning of my ancestors speaking to me from a perspective that long pre-dates a Middle Passage, and, if so, what faith drives their message of hope and light and strength - Orisa, Falasha?

In what language then does this muse utter its simple, non-cryptic phrases to free the mind and ignite the spirit - giving inspiration?

Genesis speaks of a city called Babel with a tower so high that it displeased God. He decided to come down and confuse the language, so the people would not be able to understand one another. (Gen. 11:5-7)

Adam, Eve, a serpent and an apple; Cane, Abel and a murder, the Bible begins its narrative with danger and intrigue.

Moses led the Jews out of Egypt to the Promised Land but didn't get to go. Mary met Joseph and had a son who performed miracles but was unwelcome in his own hometown of Nazareth. He was eventually crucified - murdered by a corrupt government for His faithfulness. This is high drama.

Jim Jones to Jihad, religion has always been powerfully controversial.

The notion of faith as potentially dangerous is the topic of this week's visit to the Dangerous series. (Dangerous Art, Dangerous Minds and Dangerous Voices have preceded Dangerous Faith.)

How does modern religion impact how we live, our recreation, our romance, the books we read, movies we watch and the music enjoy? How do my beliefs impact the music I make? How does organized religion impact anyone’s music, art, screenplay, choreography?

The First Amendment of the Constitution ensures that legislation will neither establish religion nor prohibit the free exercise of religion or laws that infringe upon the freedom of speech.

For them to be the key concerns of the very first of constitutional amendments the questions of religion and the free expression of faith appear to be of great importance.

Often religion provides censorship where government refrains.

What then if religion itself is in need of censorship? Who will provide it?

Can religion be trusted to censor or investigate itself - its own hierarchy?

Can we rely on rich bishops to reprimand wealthy pastors?

Will church boards turn down tens of millions of dollars the next time an administration offers to purchase their faith?

We have newly learned that not only is democracy for sale but so is your Faith.

It's not a new concept. Wasn't Judas Iscariot paid in gold coins? This nation's currency reminds us that it is in God we trust.

I have wondered more and more over the past few years if that is indeed the truth, and if it is true, which God?

I have seen evidence both in and out of the church, mosque or synagogue that it may in fact be the currency that we trust more than the message printed on it.

I have found myself wondering if it were not for the Middle Passage what religion might I find myself practicing right now?

What songs would I sing? What melodies would I hum? What rhythms would I dance to?

What language would I speak for that matter? Further, isn't it quite possible that Gospel, Jazz, Blues, R&B and Hip Hop would not even exist as we know it were it not for the Middle Passage?

Well I am here. Right here, right now--a 21st century by-product of the Triangle Trade.

I read the Bible, and I pray to God in the name of Jesus.

I try to live right, and I try not to cuss - so much.

In spite of a Constitutional Amendment, what I sing and say is censored by what my faith tells me is a higher power than this or any government.

Perhaps if I were more graphic and more profane, I would enjoy more commercial success, but I am limited by my own spiritual constraints.

I remember Clive Davis appealing to Buster Rhymes to "keep it gutter," referring to the new Rhymes CD. Clive knew what we all know at some level - more gutter, more money... more money, more power.

It seems Clive may have called a few of your ministers after hanging up with Buster.

However we may perceive the world around us and through whatever spiritual lens we turn on others it's difficult to ignore the obvious truths.

Regardless of the standards by which you judge Whitney or Britney there is a greater truth of much greater consequence - a more sinister consequence.

Our faiths, whether it is Judaism, Christianity or Islam, the three dominant religions of the world, are beginning to look more and more alike as they look
more like governments. And if that is not enough to frighten you, they are beginning to look more and more secular.

The so-called moral compass is what's in question. The moral compass of western civilization is in the hands of an individual with most questionable credentials.

He waged war for the cause of good vs. evil - it was his faith that drove his convictions.

The fact that he is bedmates with some of the most influential religious leaders in America terrifies me and worse, has caused me to reassess my own faith.

He has made them wealthy and powerful. You have made them wealthy and powerful.

He is dangerous. You have made them dangerous.

We are warned of false profits, and the Bible has its share of evil rulers so none of the shocking headlines of lying, cheating, stealing or in the case of our foreign policy, killing in the name of the Lord should be so shocking.

What I will say is before a religious leader heads out for his next press conference on eradicating the N word, before he gets on the bus to champion the next civil rights cause, before the next TV minister prepares her ever-so-clever sermon on the power of tithing and abundant living try looking inward to your own brothers and sisters of the cloth and remember what every good parent knows - we lead best by example.

While you're boasting your 10,000-plus membership congregations ask yourselves, or ask God for that matter, exactly how many faithful Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists does it take to stop an unjust war, wage a real war on drugs, educate your young population, heal the sick and wounded among us, bring decency to media and finally eradicate hate and racism in America.

No more nooses dammit!

Article also published in
Dallas Weekly
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home